Dr Nipu Jayatilleke
Dr Nipu Jayatilleke
Breast & General Surgeon
BMedSci, MBBS (Hons), MS ( Breast), FRACS.
Dr Nipu Jayatilleke is an Breast and General Surgeon based in central Sydney and southern Sydney, and is a VMO surgeon at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, St.Vincent’s Private, and St.George Private Hospitals.
As a specialist surgeon, Dr Jayatilleke regards the surgical procedure itself as only a very small part of being an excellent surgeon. She sees the trust her patients and their loved ones place in her, as a privilege, and she takes this responsibility very seriously. As a consequence, Dr Jayatilleke’s clinical practice is underpinned by the importance of empowering her patients, at what is often a vulnerable and challenging moment in their lives. Her ability to listen and connect with her patients, and communicate clearly and empathetically, are the non technical skills that Dr Jayatilleke prides in herself. She knows that modern cancer treatment is a multidisciplinary team approach, and having open, collaborative communication between herself, oncology teams and the patient’s General Practitioner are intrinsic to providing outstanding care.
Dr Jayatilleke is located at our Miranda clinic.
- 2018 Master of Surgery, The University of Sydney.
- 2013-15 Postgraduate Fellowship (Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand), Oncoplastic Breast Surgery, The Breast Cancer Institute, Westmead Hospital, Sydney.
- 2012-13 Postgraduate Fellowship (Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand), Oncoplastic Breast, Endocrine and General Surgery, Waikato Hospital, New Zealand.
- 2012 Awarded Fellowship in General Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- 2008-11 Advanced Surgical Trainee, Western Sydney Rotation,Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Various units, including a SET 4 role in Head and Neck/Surgical Oncology at Westmead Hospital.
- 2006-07 Basic Surgical Trainee, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- 2005 Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (1st class Honours), The University of Sydney.
- 2000 Bachelor of Medical Science, The University of Sydney.
- 2018 The John Loewenthal Medal for Master of Surgery The John Loewenthal Scientific Society, University of Sydney.
- 2008 Award for Outstanding Teaching Contribution Australian National University Medical Faculty, Canberra Hospital Clinical School.
- 2004 Harold John Ritchie Memorial Prize for Clinical Medicine The Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney.
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Full Member, General Surgeons Australia.
- Full Member, Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand.
- Full Member, Australasian Society of Breast Disease.
- Breast symptom assessment
- Breast cancer – risk assessment and surveillance
- Breast surgery – benign and malignant conditions
- Multidisciplinary care of breast patients